So you’ve heard all about detoxing and cleanses. Your bff is doing a juice cleanse, your coworker is on a digital detox (maybe your brother is doing one too), they’re raving about the results and you want in! But what is it? how do you […]
There is a movement out there that is growing. Some days it seems to grow in leaps and bounds, other days more slowly. But the trend is undeniable, it’s a move towards a more Plant Based Existence.
There are just as many reasons that people are taking on this type of lifestyle as is the variations of it. Labels like Vegan, Vegetarian, Lacto~Vegetarian, Pescatarian are all very definate. Strict. Unforgiving. I will not use them here. My family & I use to place ourselves in these categories, sometime jumping from one to another due to the strict rules, but found just the stress of that particular label as well as having to explain it, was just way too much. Thus we adopted a simple plant based life. No limits, no restrictions, no stress. (more on this later)
So why should you consider adopting this way of life?
Moving towards a more Plant Based way of eating is equal to moving towards a more healthier way of life (for both ourselves & the planet). Eating more clean vegetables keeps us alkaline, it nourishes our bodies with nutrient rich foods instead of empty calories (the traditional SAD ~ Standard American Diet), keeps us fuller, longer & saves our soils, our water & our air quality!
People have asked me time & time again.
“How can I move towards a more Plant Based way of eating”
There are a number of simple steps that you can incorporate into your families daily meals, to make them more plant based & healthier. First of all, I find that substituting or replacing certain ingredients is a much easier way of reducing your intake of meat & dairy items, the 2 most commonly dropped food groups ~ (Meat & Dairy have the highest negative impact on our bodies & our environment.)
Replace the ground meat in tacos with beans & rice or a variation of ‘ground~round’ (fake meat), tofu or just all veggies!
Use Tofu or Tempeh in place of meat. BBQ it, pan fry it, add it to stir fries, anything you do with meat, can be done with tofu or tempeh. Tofu has such a bland flavor that you can literally make it taste like anything you want (kind of like chicken)! And why not replace your beef burger with a PORTOBELLO mushroom.
As I mentioned earlier, we don’t categorize ourselves as Vegan, Pescatarian or otherwise. We are plant based & that is that! Why & what does that mean? It simply means that we live a no~stress kind of life. We eat Clean Food, mostly plants. We don’t eat meat, but occasionally have a bit of sushi with fresh fish. We don’t usually have dairy, but may buy fresh cheese for a special meal. We keep our meals as clean, organic & close to nature as possible.
Does this mean we don’t eat junk?
Of course not.
We have treat days & cheat meals just like the rest of them! A bag of chips, wine, chocolate, cookies, croissants or pizza all get their chances with us. But we remain Plant Based. No Stress. No Rules. No Strict Restrictions. We are not an all of nothing family.
Worried about your protein? There are ways to remedy that. First thing is first. You need to stop believing that you need a huge chunk of meat on your plate to be healthy. Of course we all need protein. We also all need healthy fats (avocado, coconut oil, nuts) & we need complex carbs (like brown rice, sweet potatoes).
We need all 3 in a really cool crazy balance to maintain a healthy diet. You just don’t need SO much! A cup of quinoa, brown rice & lentils, even Kale, Chard & Spinach gives your body readily available protein. Check out the list of my top ten plant based proteins here (coming soon).
There’s a quiet, almost secret movement out there of dedicated, vibrant supplement users that have gone way beyond what’s deemed normal in the amounts that they take of certain nutrients. These dedicated and educated individuals have done ‘experiments’ on themselves (although there are numerous studies […]
Are you tired of looking at the same dusty, unhealthy, uninspiring foods in your pantry? Do you cringe when you open the fridge and see perfectly good veggies going bad? Are you fed up trying to find new and exciting recipes? Do you get lost at the grocery store only to come home with things you didn’t need? Do you get starry-eyed at the farmers markets and buy beautiful items only to come home not knowing what to do with them? Is your family bored with the food that comes to the table? Do you dread having to make another meal no one will thank you for?
Let’s get together & give your Kitchen a Detox! (this is a great way to Spring Clean or to prepare for the Cooler months).
This workshop will begin with approximately 45~75 minutes of us taking stock of your cupboards, freezer & fridge to see what’s really hiding in there 😉 We will donate or re-purpose any foods or ingredients unfavorable for your new health goals, as well as discard expired or over~processed items & make a list of easy, healthy replacements.
After your cupboards, pantry, counter, freezer and fridge are prepped & ready a trip to your local grocery store, or market will follow (45~75 minutes).
There we will go hand in hand, aisle by aisle, all the while learning and discovering new and exciting ingredients, but don’t worry I will totally simplify what we are looking for as well as explain the difference between the foods your body needs, wants & thrives on and the foods that your body doesn’t cope well with. (I’ll even include some tasty healthy recipes for meals and treats)!
Some points of note;
- An average of 2~3 hours will be needed for both workshops.
- Groups of 2-5 are most welcome (unfortunately only one individuals kitchen will be used for the workshop).
- This workshop will include a weeks worth of new, simple, seasonal recipes to keep you (& your family) motivated and satisfied while eating healthy!
- Kitchen & Grocery Clean-Ups requires Full Payment in Advance & a minimum of 1 Week notice to Reserve your time with me. To make an appointment please click here!
It’s a well-known fact that February is the month of love. And whether you go giddy over the thought of flowers, chocolates, fancy dinner dates, dressing up & being pampered or not, I’m here to remind you not to forget about another type of love….. your own self-love!
I want you all to take a moment to remember how flippin fabulous you really are, how hard you work & how long your hours can be. We are all over worked & underpaid….. but starting today, we are going to start treating ourselves on the regular!
Learning some simple self-love tips & tricks today is just the beginning of a new habit that’s gonna make us better humans & make those long days a bit more bearable. Below are some posters you can click, share, tweet, re-post, download and even print and place in areas you will see everyday to help you get started!
Feb. Self love tips (printable)
1. Making a non-negotiable list (or an absolute yes/no list) is so important to self-love & happiness. And you know what they say….. happy mom, happy home (ok, I made that up…. but they should say that)! Making your list doesn’t need to be complicated or stressful either, try these 5 questions to get you started!
2. Supporting your bod & mind is crucial to feeling good. Stress, anxiety & the daily dealings of kid tantrums, long hours, a bad diet & bill paying can leave you beyond exhausted. But don’t stress out 😉 there are plenty of safe natural helpers that can leave us feeling very well supported! (of course you can always try a glass of red & a nice dark chocolate too). These supplements are a great start (feel free to reach out for a free consult if you have further queries about these supps, there’s a book appointment tab at the bottom of the page)!
5 supplements to support your stressed out bod (printable)
3. Finding & taking (guilt free) me time is hard. Wow is it hard sometimes. But you’ve heard it time and again, put your mask on first. And for good reason. A tired burnt out mama is good for no-one! Taking me time doesn’t need to be a weekend away (although if you can, go!)…. a bath, meditating, going for a hike or run, or just enjoying a cup of hot tea quietly is sometimes all it takes. Make a list & see how many you can treat yourself to in a day or a week!
7 activities to find your me moment (printable)
4. They say stress and lack of sleep is worse then a bad diet, but good nights rest is harder to find than me time am I right? Sleep is the solid base and foundation that we need to build our good health on. My mom always told me to nap when the baby naps & leave the chores for later (a tip I have always followed), but that can be tough too. Don’t ever feel bad for hitting the sack at an early time (730pm is totally acceptable some nights ;). If you’re not resting that hard-working mind and bod, then you’re gonna be a rusty mess & coffee just isn’t gonna help (it could actually hurt).
4 tips for better more restful sleep (printable)
Ah Love… do you feel it in the air? Are you ready to take it to the next level with these easy and solid tips? Give one or more of these a try for a week and see how you feel.
Wellness, & the bountiful Health that most people seek can be found along many different roads. Trying, testing & experimenting can have great advantages & be a wonderful educational experience. You must always remember that Wellness involves the Emotional, Spiritual & Physical side, to neglect […]